“Queste reliquie a noi ispirino ed ai nostri nipoti concordia e carità di patria”

IMG_Custoza

Custoza is a village of Sommacampagna (Verona), situated above the remains of the moraineamphitheater of the Lake Garda, near river Tione. The territory is still crossed by the Via Postumia, the road that connected the Gaul (modern Po valley) to the two most important Roman ports of Northern Italy, Genoa and Aquileia.

The ancient Roman, realized a road for the consulAlbino Postumio in 148 BC for military purposes, it was the onlyfully terrestrial way that allowed to go from Rome to the east areas of the Empire due to the presence of a single bridge over the Adige river, built near Verona.

The name of the city of Custozabelongs to the two major battles fought duringthe Renaissance, the first in 1848, dating back to the War of Independence, and the second in 1866, dating back to the Third War of Independence.

In both cases, the Piedmontese army first and then Italian army were defeated by the Austrian troops, led by Commander Joseph Radetsky in ’48 and the Archduke Albert of Austria in ’66.

In memory of the two episodes of war, was erected a Monumental Ossuary that houses the remains of soldiers who died during the fighting. “